ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

Start a new topic Add Reply
> anotehr attempt at windows stick creation, ddmac.exe what files are equivalent: boot_v8 & chameleon
Hagar
post Mar 14 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #1
I'm trying to find a route to making a bootable usb stick from windows.

to do so I need to install a boot-132 type bootloader.

after trying:
dd.exe (doesn't seem able to access bootsector)
premade disc image (too complex & tends to fail for no reason I can figure out)

so: try ddmac.
ddmac.exe uses pcefi v8,the files are:

boot
boot1h
boot_v8

I want to see if it can install chameleon instead. The files are:

boot
boot0
boot1h

I assume that boot1h = boot1h but the other 2 ... I'm guessing that:

chameleon boot = pc_efi boot_v8

and

chameleon boot0 = pc_efi boot

any input?
[edit]

well I can't get ddmac.exe to do anything useful to my usb stick either.. and it needs an iso if it's to write the whole thing, not a .dmg, which is another conversion step... another dead end? I'm beginning to think it would be easier to do a custom DSL image to dd the bootloader from linux.

[edit]

at least using transmac an 8gb usb stick can be usd instead of a DL-DVD for a preboot install.. I guess that's something :/ alternatively, a 2-partition system with a syslinux boot and a second partition with retail on it could be made.. I suspect this would need to be >8gb and therefore expensive & complicated..

The main idea here was to keep it simple...

[edit]
Just out of interest it sems syslinux.exe can wrtie bootsectors.. I guess I just need to learn more about what goes where..
This Time We're Doing it RIGHT

Pippo X0
post Jul 22 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #2
Hi,
any success to make Usb pen bootable from windows ???

i'm interested too ...
iMac: Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.6 (iDeneb v1.4) - CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.0Ghz - MB: ECS P4M890T-M2 - RAM: 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz - Ethernet: RTL8139 - Audio: Realtek ALC662 (integrata)- Video: nVidia Geforce 7300 512Mb - HDD: 320Gb SATA2 - DVD-RW: SONY DVD RW AW-G170A
iBook Dell Latitude D430: Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.6 (iDeneb v1.4) - CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.2Ghz - RAM: 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz - Ethernet: RTL8139 - Wifi: Intel Pro 3945 (not working) - ZyDas Usb Pen 54mb working - Audio: AC97 (integrata)- Video: Intel GMA950 intergata (patched and working) - HDD: 160Gb SATA2 - DVD-RW: Dell DVD RW - Bluetooth - Firewire - SD Card reader - LCD 12,1" (1280x800). - iPhone 2G - jailbreak
Mikehunt79
post Sep 6 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #3
Use syslinux under windows with the -ma option. smile.gif

Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: