ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start a new topic Add Reply
> Gtx 460 Need Help
Gringo Vermelho
post Aug 2 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #21
QUOTE (powel @ Jul 22 2010, 01:55 AM) *
I appreciate that information. Nobody else made any mention of that. Everyone just said extract and install kexts.

I missed something important - to anyone else interested in this, the driver package available at nvidia.com does not contain any drivers for fermi/GF100, after installing the driver packages from nvidia you still need to get the hacked drivers from one of the links over at InsanelyMac and extract and install those on top.

/EDIT

No need for hacked drivers anymore - look below.

This post has been edited by Gringo Vermelho: Mar 30 2011, 03:19 AM
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - EVGA GTX 660 - i5-3570K - 10.9.1 retail - Chameleon 2.2 svn r22xx
Gringo Vermelho
post Mar 10 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #22
The latest nvidia Quadro 4000 drivers include support for the GTX 460, no need to edit any nvidia kexts.

-10.6.5 or higher required, use GraphicsEnabler=n until you're at 10.6.5 or higher, or when booting your install media.

-MacPro3,1, 4,1 or 5,1 model identifier required. If you're using a different model identifier, you can edit distribution.dist inside the installer .pkg and add it. Open the file in a text editor, the rest should be obvious.

-No OpenCL support (CUDA works but not all 336 CUDA cores are used)

-If you're experiencing freezes or kernel panics, leave VLC running in the background playing a video on repeat (this solution sucks).

-If Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler=y doesn't seem to work, set your PCI Root manually in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist (google it)

-If performance is exceptionally bad, use MacPro3,1 model identifier or edit AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (google it)

-Here's how to get HDMI audio working: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...=465&st=118

This post has been edited by Gringo Vermelho: Mar 30 2011, 03:21 AM
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - EVGA GTX 660 - i5-3570K - 10.9.1 retail - Chameleon 2.2 svn r22xx
sakis
post Mar 13 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #23
QUOTE (Gringo Vermelho @ Mar 11 2011, 01:21 AM) *
The latest nvidia Quadro 4000 drivers include support for the GTX 460, no need to edit any nvidia kexts.

-10.6.5 or higher required, use GraphicsEnabler=n until you're at 10.6.5 or higher, or when booting your install media.

-MacPro3,1, 4,1 or 5,1 model identifier required. If you're using a different model identifier, you can edit distribution.dist inside the installer .pkg and add it. Open the file in a text editor, the rest should be obvious.

-No OpenCL support (CUDA works but not all 336 CUDA cores are used)

-If you're experiencing freezes or kernel panics, leave VLC running in the background playing a video on repeat (this solution sucks).

-If Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler=y doesn't seem to work, set your PCI Root manually in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist (google it)

-If performance is exceptionally bad, use MacPro3,1 model identifier or edit AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (google it)

You are right about Fermi drivers and KPs. It's particularly annoying because with the current drivers (doesn't matter if it's NVidia official or TonyMacX86 versions) people reportedly (including me) experience random freezes. Let's hope NVidia solves this issue soon enough in a new drivers version. Kind of sucks, if you think that NVidia published MAC drivers for Fermi graphic cards that don't do the job right!

Indeed VLC playing a video in the background seems to solve this issue - it has to do with the fact that playing a video does not leave idle the graphics card, which in turn seems to be the reason for freezing OSX.
Jernej
post Nov 29 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #24
Hi,

I am having huge problems with installing Mac OS on my setup. My setup is:

1. Asus P8P67 Pro MB
2. Intel 2600 K CPU
3. 16 GB RAM
3. 120 COrsair SSD
4. Nvidia Quadro 4000 Graphics card

I am using Andyboot 5 to boot and install my Snow Leopard. Everything goes fine, update to 10.6.8, sound, network, bluetooth... Only the graphics card works only in basic resolution. Doesnt matter if I install the Nvidia official drivers and CUDA, doesnt matter if I set Graphicsenabler to Yes.

If I use Multibeast and Chameleon, the system boots up fine, basic resolution only. But as soon as I install the official Nvidia drivers I ger black display after the Apple logo nad thats it.

I would very appreciate some help. I need Mac OS to work on my setup, so I am prepared to pay for the working solution.

You can also write to my email jernej12345@gmail.com .

Thanks for looking.
Gringo Vermelho
post Nov 30 2011, 01:07 PM
Post #25
QUOTE (sakis @ Mar 13 2011, 03:12 PM) *
Kind of sucks, if you think that NVidia published MAC drivers for Fermi graphic cards that don't do the job right!

The drivers are intended for use with the Quadro 4000 for Mac, which is the only Fermi architecture video card for Mac on the market, you are lucky the drivers work at all.
doesn't matter if it's NVidia official or TonyMacX86 versions

That's because they are identical. The only difference is that the TonyMac drivers are modified so that the installer will run with any Mac model identifier in smbios.plist. You can easily perform this modification yourself by editing distribution.dist inside the installer package with textedit.
it has to do with the fact that playing a video does not leave idle the graphics card, which in turn seems to be the reason for freezing OSX.

There is more to it than that. Experiments have been carried out with a GTX 460 using a modified BIOS that kept the card running at high clocks and the freezes still happened.

This post has been edited by Gringo Vermelho: Dec 5 2011, 03:36 AM

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: