ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

Start a new topic Add Reply
> Snow Leopard On Windows Host With Virtualbox Using Efi, no Empire Efi Boot CD needed
aschar
post Jul 17 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #1
I used win7 64bit as host and Retail Snow DVD 10.6.3 (tested also with 10.6.0 DVD but did not work with iso -kp).

Install virtualbox 3.2.6 (works also with 3.2.8)

create a virtual machine in VirtualBox for Mac OSX - with a growing HDD at least 12GB
customize the VM:

give it not more than 2048MB RAM and 64-128VRAM enable 3D acceleration and only 1 CPU (you can apply more CPUS later if you removed AppelIntelCpuPowermangement.kextand rebuild kextcache)

Update: assigning more than 2048mb RAM works if you set VRAM to 64mb- tested with up to 6144mb RAM

enable io-apic and efi. (do not use SATA hdd -EFI cant boot it)
change boot order to boot from cd first

!! Important: Make sure you have your host dvd drive selected in vm and enabled passthrough for it.

!! Important Then shut down Virtualbox

type cmd
and in the Windows Console cd to your programs folder /Oracle/Virtualbox

then type these 3 commands (My VM is named snow - adapt snow to your name if you named it differently)
CODE
VBoxManage modifyvm "snow" --firmware efi64
VBoxManage setextradata "snow" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4
VBoxManage setextradata "snow" VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey  "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"

(use --firmware efi if you run 32bit host)

EfiGopMode 4 enables 1440x900 res other options: (1=800x600 2=1024x768 3=1280x1024)

check your VMs xml located in your home folder .Virtualbox/Machines
It should have these lines

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal( c )AppleComputerInc"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" value="4"/>

! no spaces at ( c ) look at the code box

Start your vm and insert the Snow Leopard DVD. Thats it -pretty simple

No need for a boot cd or a distro with that installation

Post installation
Sound: you can get AppleAC97Audio.kext in this thread http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=425
just put device id 0x24158086 into info.plist of AppleAc97AudioIntelICH.kext.
Sound has issues channels are mixed -gives you only one channel

Shared folders: in Finder go to -connect to server: smb://192.168.56.1

If you want Bonjour Service working to autmatically connect to other Macs or Hacks in your Network create 2 Network Adapters 1 NAT and 1 Bridged.

Update
This works with ubuntu64 host too. (On the Ubuntu Host it booted the Retail DVD and the iso) Just type the 3 VBoxManage commands in Terminal. Be sure you have both VBOX and the VM NOT !!! running. Then check the xml - cd in Terminal to the folder of your VM.
cd ~/.VirtualBox/Machines/"yourVMname"/
then type: gedit "yourVMname".xml
and check if all settings in setextradata are there.

This also works with an OSX Host you need only the first 2 VBoxManage commands. Fakesmc.kext you have installed in OSX bypasses encryption in VM too. No need for SmcDeviceKey.

Tip:

Preparing USB install Stick with this method is pretty easy, if you have no access to a mac or a hack. Just set a USB Filter in the VM setup -1st option. (If your run a newer linux host be sure you belong to the VBoxsystem usergroup - older system need a different way to enable usb look into vbox manual 12.6.7)

On my ubuntu lucid lynx i had also to reinstall vbox linux kernel driver with /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup to get usb working

Update:

Works with VBOX 4.0 too. Hagar is right. This Guide doesnt work with AMD CPUS. It needs an Intel CPU with VT-x.

To get sound working just select Intel HDA (no modded kext necessary). Sound Output is Headphones but works. Stereo, Balance and nearly no distortions. Mic works too from my logitech webcam.

VBox 4.0 runs in full screen resolution if you set efigopmode to 5 (1920x1200 at my install)

For usb support in your vm you need to install the expansion pack within vbox. http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/...51.vbox-extpack

This post has been edited by aschar: Jan 12 2011, 12:33 PM
GA EX58 UD5 Core i7 920 CPU Nvidia GTX275 Highpoint Rocketraid 3520 12GB Ram OCZ 1600 Platinum
tea
post Jul 18 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #2
Thank you! Very interesting!
Hagar
post Nov 25 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #3
I gave this a try on my old AMD64 running win 7/64 and it appears the VM is dependant on vt-x (or equivalent) (& possibly sse3/ssse3 what do I know?)
This Time We're Doing it RIGHT

Mikehunt79
post Nov 26 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #4
Looks good, I only have the 10.6 retail DVD, is it possible to patch it to 10.6.3 somehow?
rockingturtle
post Dec 2 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #5
Have you guys managed to get good speed in running OSX under VM, I got it working under vmware on my hack but the speed wasnt that great... a windows or linux vm machine with almost half the RAM, works better....Do the lack of vm addons cause this difference..
kagi
post Dec 12 2010, 05:20 AM
Post #6
I tried this method on VB 3.2.12, but while loading "startup\extensions.mkext", the process hangs with a "Unknown4 of GetVar called". Am I missing something?

Trying to install from a 10.6.3 retail DVD (/ISO, got both)
Cheers

This post has been edited by kagi: Dec 12 2010, 05:28 AM
kagi
post Dec 13 2010, 02:24 AM
Post #7
quick update guys, looks like the VB EFI doesnt work with the i7 processor that I have (atleast that's the only explanation that fits so far). So, I'm back to using iBoot and things are good smile.gif
гык-sse2
post Jan 6 2011, 07:37 AM
Post #8
QUOTE (kagi @ Dec 13 2010, 05:24 AM) *
quick update guys, looks like the VB EFI doesnt work with the i7 processor that I have (atleast that's the only explanation that fits so far). So, I'm back to using iBoot and things are good smile.gif

You need to use 10.6.3 DVD and set to one CPU core in settings. EFI has nothing to do with the processor.
UEFI is a great way to get the best of the best in the world of imagination and creativity. ©Google Scribe
cphase
post Mar 15 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #9
Hello everyone, thanks for having me on this forum!

I have installed Snow Leopard 10.6.2 in Virtualbox 4.1.8 and Archlinux is the host. Install went fine but I am stuck with the resolution issue. I have tried these commands but to no avail.

CODE
VBoxManage modifyvm "snow" --firmware efi64
VBoxManage setextradata "snow" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4
VBoxManage setextradata "snow" VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey  "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"

Here is an example of the error I get:
CODE
# VBoxManage modifyvm "Snow Leopard" --firmware efi64
VBoxManage: error: Could not find a registered machine named 'Snow Leopard'
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBox, interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]).raw(), machine.asOutParam())" at line 360 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

Has anyone found the commands for vb 4.1.8. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,

Jeff

This post has been edited by cphase: Mar 15 2012, 05:27 PM

Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: