ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start a new topic Add Reply
> Mini Howto: Flash Tour Dsdt Into Bios, needed : Linux , OS X & $$
gsam_fan
post Aug 1 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #1
>UPDATED<
CAUTION : USE AN ORIGINAL BIOS FROM YOUR MB VENDOR ONLY...

Why to Flash DSDT into Bios?
fix acpi errors and you'll have a perfect working Bios
....also make permanent your DSDT hacks
CAUTION : do this only if you have tested your DSDT over long time !!!
CAUTION : ONLY FOR ADVANCED KNOWLEDGE ... YOU CAN BRAKE YOUR MB !!!

let's go:

1.Linux
get iasl compiler
CODE
sudo cp /proc/acpi/dsdt /home/......<working dir>
cd /home/......<working dir>
iasl -d dsdt
iasl -tc dsdt.dsl

now fix your acpi errors...
CODE
iasl -ta dsdt.dsl

get your fixed dsdt.aml to a place you can find later
why use linux?
...for all ACPI functions of course...
...for latest iasl , don't use asl , less optimizations and more errors and warnings...

2.$$
get the Bios.bin (rom ...or what ever) to a place you'll work
CODE
cbrom Bios.bin /acpitbl extract

get a copy of ACPITBL.BIN to a place you'll can find later and rename it to ACPITBL-original.BIN

3.OS X
get a HexEditor
with HexEditor open a window with ACPITBL-original.BIN and a window with dsdt.aml
select and-from DSDT word to the end of the ACPITBL-original.BIN file and paste there all the dsdt.aml
save as ACPITBL.BIN
Attached File  HexEdit.png ( 648.63K ) Number of downloads: 285

4.$$
copy it over ACPITBL.BIN
CODE
cbrom Bios.bin /acpitbl release
cbrom Bios.bin /acpitbl ACPITBL.BIN

thats it..now flash your fixed bios

p.s.
don't blame me if you did something bad... rolleyes.gif
i hope your mb is DualBios and you'll get a second shot if samething gone wrong.... blink.gif

from here to where?
with similar way you can fix your FADT to have native Restart (no chameleon patch needed any more) ,
basically if you know what chameleon is patching at boot you can make it "native"
...and so more other magic thinks you can do now on ...don't wait me to tell you more

This post has been edited by gsam_fan: Aug 2 2010, 07:43 AM
just a unix user...
jadran
post Aug 1 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #2
3.OS X
get a HexEditor
with HexEditor open a window with ACPITBL-original.BIN and a window with dsdt.aml
select and-from DSDT word to the end of the ACPITBL-original.BIN file and paste there all the dsdt.aml
save as ACPITBL.BIN

Aa lot easier to just use this small exe file and stay in windows Attached File  GetDSDT.EXE.zip ( 3.08K ) Number of downloads: 180

like:
#GetDSDT.exe ACPITBL.BIN
this will dump two files, DSDT and OTHERS.HEX (OTHERS.HEX are rest of tables)

And to put together your new DSDT and rest tables that are in OTHERS.HEX just use simple copy command in windows
#copy / b OTHERS.hex + DSDT.aml ACPITBL.BIN

this will create new ACPITBL.BIN with new DSDT in it, and all your other tables inside.

Enjoy!

iNDi
post Aug 2 2010, 05:17 AM
Post #3
Be careful with bioses that contain sensitve modules.
gsam_fan
post Aug 2 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #4
QUOTE (jadran @ Aug 1 2010, 11:23 PM) *
Aa lot easier to just use this small exe file and stay in windows Attached File  GetDSDT.EXE.zip ( 3.08K ) Number of downloads: 180

like:
#GetDSDT.exe ACPITBL.BIN
this will dump two files, DSDT and OTHERS.HEX (OTHERS.HEX are rest of tables)

And to put together your new DSDT and rest tables that are in OTHERS.HEX just use simple copy command in windows
#copy / b OTHERS.hex + DSDT.aml ACPITBL.BIN

this will create new ACPITBL.BIN with new DSDT in it, and all your other tables inside.

Enjoy!

...well we like to use Snow...want we? rolleyes.gif

just a unix user...
gsam_fan
post Aug 2 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #5
QUOTE (iNDi @ Aug 2 2010, 06:17 AM) *
Be careful with bioses that contain sensitve modules.

listen to Staff... don't do anything if you don't know what you are doing
just a unix user...
THe KiNG
post Aug 2 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #6
Even is a mini guide, it dosen't cover the basic safety rules, plus replacing DSDT in BIOS with one extracted from OS (dosen't matter which one) is a very bad idea!
Update you mini guide.
gabiz_ro
post Aug 2 2010, 06:43 AM
Post #7
If this implies BIOS mooding,right way is to extract ACPI TABLE from BIOS modd them and insert back.
gsam_fan
post Aug 2 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #8
QUOTE (THe KiNG @ Aug 2 2010, 07:34 AM) *
Even is a mini guide, it dosen't cover the basic safety rules, plus replacing DSDT in BIOS with one extracted from OS (dosen't matter which one) is a very bad idea!
Update you mini guide.

ok i'll do that..you are right
>Post Updated<
just a unix user...
jadran
post Aug 2 2010, 10:21 AM
Post #9
QUOTE (gsam_fan @ Aug 2 2010, 07:24 AM) *
...well we like to use Snow...want we? rolleyes.gif

Yes i like to use Snow for Final Cut, but not for bios stuff, if U need to come to windows(native or virtual) to use cbrom, why complicate with HEXEDIT?
Well it is your choice...
numberonekiwi
post Aug 7 2010, 01:35 AM
Post #10
Hi first time post here and I am trying to perfect my BIOS

I have not used Linux but windows instead with the commands

cbrom x48ds5.f8c /acpitbl extract

cbrom x48ds5.f8c /acpitbl release

cbrom x48ds5.f8c /acpitbl ACPITBL.BIN

Without any mods to any of the extracted files but when I flash the new BIOS x48ds5.f8c it does not work and my motherboard resarts and loads the backup BIOS

Would my issue be that I am using windows and not linux ?

The only Linux I have is on a bootable CD and I dont think I can access any other media devices

Edit : discovered I can use a USB device to do this is linux but cant seem to find the iasl compiler it give errors when I run make

This post has been edited by numberonekiwi: Aug 7 2010, 03:21 AM
X48-DS5 Q6600 4GB-1066 Corsair 2x500GB 2x200GB ATI 4670
vincent99
post Aug 7 2010, 04:35 AM
Post #11
This topic is very very dangerous. It should be removed immediately. Ok for test, hack etc.,, but not this, in this way. It's not so simple.
ASUS EeePc ha1005a
numberonekiwi
post Aug 11 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #12
Hi been looking around for reasons this may not be working for me but issuing these 3 commands still gives me an unbootable bios

I have tried 2 different versions of cbrom but still same issue either bios reverts to backup bios or I need to short pins 1 and 7 of the main bios to restore from backup bios

Is there another step required ? Surely just issuing the above commands would not change anything but it does even the bios checksum in q-flash changes from 8D00 to 8300

iNDi
post Aug 12 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #13
QUOTE (numberonekiwi @ Aug 11 2010, 11:10 PM) *
Hi been looking around for reasons this may not be working for me but issuing these 3 commands still gives me an unbootable bios

I have tried 2 different versions of cbrom but still same issue either bios reverts to backup bios or I need to short pins 1 and 7 of the main bios to restore from backup bios

Is there another step required ? Surely just issuing the above commands would not change anything but it does even the bios checksum in q-flash changes from 8D00 to 8300

its called sensitive modules. some modules must remain at the same offset inside the rom. using cbrom could possibly change the module offset = no boot.
numberonekiwi
post Aug 13 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #14
I understand now what is going on I made a copy of the bios and modded one when issuing command cbrom x48.x40 /d I see that ACPITBL is at the bottom of the list rather than the 3rd in the list
vultu
post Aug 17 2010, 01:18 AM
Post #15
Here my method if you have a AMI BIOS.

You will need:
  • BIOS from your motherboard (download from manufacturer site)
  • Your DSDT.AML with your fixes already compiled
  • MMTOOL program Attached File  MMTOOL.EXE.zip ( 153.54K ) Number of downloads: 141
  • Windows to run MMTOOL program

Run MMTOOL

Click LOAD ROM and find your original Manufacturer ROM downloaded

Click in REPLACE tab

Click in BROWSE button (to load your fixed DSDT.AML)

Find ACPI AML in the grid below and SELECT it

Click in REPLACE button, your fixed DSDT.AML will replace the original DSDT from manufacturer

Click in SAVE ROM AS and save your ROM with other name.

Update your BIOS with your new ROM.

This method is just for AMI BIOS Roms, pay attention cause if something get wrong in update you can damage your motherboard.

This is the method that I used with my ASUS P6T, I dont know if will work with other motherboards.

[]s
VultU

ps.: sorry about the bad english.

This post has been edited by vultu: Aug 17 2010, 04:19 PM
Hackintosh | ASUS P8P67-M PRO | Core i7 2600K@5 GHz | 16 GB DDR 3 | M4 128 GB SSD | 2x Seagate 1.5 TB SATA 2 | ATI 6850
numberonekiwi
post Aug 17 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #16
I only have award bios v6.0

This post has been edited by numberonekiwi: Aug 17 2010, 12:02 PM
vincent99
post Aug 17 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #17
QUOTE (vultu @ Aug 17 2010, 01:18 AM) *
Here my method if you have a AMI BIOS.

You will need:
  • BIOS from your motherboard (download from manufacturer site)
  • Your DSDT.AML with your fixes already compiled
  • MMTOOL program Attached File  MMTOOL.EXE.zip ( 153.54K ) Number of downloads: 141
  • Windows to run MMTOOL program

Run MMTOOL

Click LOAD ROM and find your original Manufacturer ROM downloaded

Click in REPLACE tab

Click in BROWSE button (to load your fixed DSDT.AML)

Find ACPI AML in the grid below and SELECT it

Click in REPLACE button, your fixed DSDT.AML will replace the original DSDT from manufacturer

Click in SAVE ROM AS and save your ROM with other name.

Update your BIOS with your new ROM.

This method is just for AMI BIOS Roms, pay attention cause if something get wrong in update you can damage your motherboard.

This is the method that I used with my ASUS P6T, and I already did the same with my old ASUS P5Q.

[]s
VultU

ps.: sorry about the bad english.

Impossible this method, "in this simple way" with p5q series. The dsdt table is NOT separated like in this/your bios from the other table, serie p6 etc, but dsdt table is together other acpi table and can not be substitute in this SIMPLE way.

Fake wink.gif

This post has been edited by vincent99: Aug 17 2010, 02:41 PM
ASUS EeePc ha1005a
vultu
post Aug 17 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #18
QUOTE (vincent99 @ Aug 17 2010, 11:40 AM) *
Impossible this method, "in this simple way" with p5q series. The dsdt table is NOT separated like in this/your bios from the other table, serie p6 etc, but dsdt table is together other acpi table and can not be substitute in this SIMPLE way.

Fake wink.gif

You're right, I can not remember which motherboard was.

I'll fix the text, but with the P6T works that is the motherboard I have right now.

Maybe this method works only with P6T Im so luck. wink.gif
Hackintosh | ASUS P8P67-M PRO | Core i7 2600K@5 GHz | 16 GB DDR 3 | M4 128 GB SSD | 2x Seagate 1.5 TB SATA 2 | ATI 6850
Gringo Vermelho
post Aug 19 2010, 03:36 AM
Post #19
Yeah P5Q boards are definitely different. I could never get this to work on my P5Q-E either.

There's a similar tutorial for AMI BIOS buried somewhere on InsanelyMac that I followed but I always got checksum errors when trying to flash the modified BIOS. I tried several times until I was 101% sure I had done everything right.

btw if you use the new Chameleon 2.0 RC5 you no longer need to remove the CPU aliases from the DSDT. I put mine back just because I could. blink.gif
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - EVGA GTX 660 - i5-3570K - 10.9.1 retail - Chameleon 2.2 svn r22xx
jadran
post Sep 10 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #20
After dealing with DSDT in 1B module of ami bios(because no DSDT bootloader for Tiger), I found great tool for automating all this, it is called AMI SLIC TOOL 1.61 that version can alter DSDT from any module in your bios. I tested with MSI witch has standalone ACPI module and Asrock bios witch has DSDT in 1B module, all works.

link to program: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/4...IC-Modification

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: