ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

Start a new topic Add Reply
> "new" Rule - No Donations, unanimously adopted
Hagar
post Dec 17 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #1
It's been part of the ethos of this site from day one that the work should be opensource as far as possible and done for the fun and challenge of the work itself, not for any other motivation.

Whilst the concept of working together and creating useful materials has always been at the heart of how this place is run, we have not needed to explicitly explain this in a rule until now, as most users have the sense to understand the spirit and meaning of these principles.

The time has come, however for this to be made explicit, and therefore we are formalising the rule that donation buttons or links in posts and signatures will not be allowed.
This Time We're Doing it RIGHT

valv
post Dec 17 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #2
QUOTE (Hagar @ Dec 17 2010, 01:52 PM) *
It's been part of the ethos of this site from day one that the work should be opensource as far as possible and done for the fun and challenge of the work itself, not for any other motivation.

Whilst the concept of working together and creating useful materials has always been at the heart of how this place is run, we have not needed to explicitly explain this in a rule until now, as most users have the sense to understand the spirit and meaning of these principles.

The time has come, however for this to be made explicit, and therefore we are formalising the rule that donation buttons or links in posts and signatures will not be allowed.

I feel like this one is especially for me. Thanks.
U guy did understood things (with the sense of community) from the beginning. not me. Yeah and that's when I should have known about it.
p.s: donations was not my motivation. it was an additional material. Just as important as time, knowledge, etc.
I never been forcing users to pay for the share.
seriously hagar, we are suffocating from all those rules here and there.
I know it is not that easy for you. But amendments should not be, on a sharing place. Even though there MUST be rules.
sometimes, I do miss polls for rules like this.
relying on what you wrote on your signature, things should be better (than what ? IM ? ) over here.
By-the-way, is there no rule (like in IM) that says: do not criticize admins ? or what they do ?
what is this pleaaase ?
users do not even have the right to express there thoughts about the guys that amend them the rules they have to respect and work under.
Tomorrow an new dubl or so would see the light with all the stuff we made. we not even have the right to be open for donations; they: they make it for money.
It is not hard to understand what is going on behind the scene you know. WE ARE NOT DUMB.
you can banish me if you want for having expressed my thoughts like I needed to. But what would that give to the scene: sanity ? liberty ? freedom ? I seriously doubt about that.

This post has been edited by valv: Dec 17 2010, 03:29 PM
Hagar
post Dec 17 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #3
Um... I'm sorry I don't understand what you're trying to say here..

A number of staff members and other users approached me, we had a poll of the staff, everyone was in favor of a ban on donations, so with very little time between getting up & going to work I implemented it.. The idea of these rules are to encourage free exchange of ideas and avoid problems, jealousy and drama.. Having seen some of the messes this scene has got into in the time since I first got involved in june of 2005 I know only too well how donations schemes can cause immense problems of people refusing to share knowledge and information, and even dividing the entire community into camps.

We hope these things are behind us. I hope this rule will help us move forward in a cooperative and peaceful way.

You seem to think there is a conspiracy involved. I don't see what this would be, this site is all about openness and inclusion, involving money generally works against this.
This Time We're Doing it RIGHT

cyrusrayne
post Jan 8 2011, 02:33 PM
Post #4
As much as you may feel there is a conspiracy, you are sadly mistaken. Soliciting donations in posts or signatures on this site, as much as it may be helpful to those doing it, is not conducive to an environment free of drama, data hoarding or otherwise, as Hagar mentioned. The rules are discussed at length amongst the staff before implementation, and are always open to feedback from members like yourself.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, however much I may disagree.
Join us at irc.moofspeak.net, channel #osx86 for your OSx86 Needs! We promise mac-mini won't bite (hard)!
Laptop: 15.6" widescreen, 2.1 GHz Athlon II Dual Core, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

Any PMs seeking Computer/iPod/iPhone/Software support WILL BE IGNORED
Spam - Recognize it. Report it. Stop it.

Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: