ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

Start a new topic Add Reply
> Intel Cantiga Gs45 Ich 9 Usb 1.0 Only, 1 Of 3 Usb Working, IOUSB or DSDT... Thought DSDT but...
haze295
post Mar 17 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #1
I truly hope someone can help me here as this is the only issue with my Laptop and everything else I have working 100% (except sleep).

Model: M11x Alienware
1.6ghz Duo Core
Intel GS45 ICH9 (probably 9M) Chipset
10.6.6 Installed
-Kexts Used: only required
DSDT - extracted using DSDTSE, ran through 1.2 IASLME, not modified past that yet.

Problem:

I can only get 1 USB port on my system for use. The USB is located on the left side by itself while 2 other ports are on the right side of the machine. USB emulation must be turned on for it to be recognized, and this is the only way I can get USB connectivity (however in 1.0 mode only)

Background:

I know these will work in usb 2.0. I used IBOOT strictly to load my Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Disc and installed vanilla system. Rebooted and while using IBOOT to load the disc (I understand that Iboot hides wink.gif loading kexts in the background) and when I turned off USB Emulation I can verify that the USB was functioning properly. All ports in USB 2.0 were tested working. Thinking that everything was fine, I installed 10.6.6, required kexts, and dsdt... and during that transition I lost USB 2.0 and working ports

Work Done so far:

1. New Bootloader - upgraded to newer chameleon and tried usblegacy=off (killed all ports), and I tried usbfix=y (no luck either)

2. DSDT - I know this system has ICH9 or 9mobile (don't know if that exists)
http://www.intel.com/Products/Notebook/Chi...aldocuments.htm
Looking @ DSDT fixes in DSDTSE I found that all usb fixes called up UHCI at Address 0x0001ad (not the 107 address fix), however my DSDT calls upon USB0
at that function and when trying to edit the DSDT it blows out errors.

My thinking: I know that I can't be the only one with this issue and I believe that at this point it must be the following:

1. I believe that an older IOUSB might fix this issue or possibly there is a DSDT fix. However I wanted to start here first as I know 2.0 and all ports was achieved with no DSDT modifying.

I could really use some advice and help on this as it's driving me nutz. The only reason I have not tried to go back and recreate the setup is that I used my friends External DVD drive to boot IBOOT and he's gone. So I'd be picking up a 40.00 drive just to test this out when I don't' really need it past that.

I am humbly asking for any advice and help as I really don't know where to turn at this point and need to create a chain of options I can try and mark off. Right now I have.

1. Older IOUSB family from 10.6.0 as this was the only other version that has been on this system (went from 10.6.0 to 10.6.6 using combo update)
2. Modified IOUSB kept that someone has maybe created for this problem already
3. DSDT Modification which I am lacking the skill in.

I thank you very much and please any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tony
haze295
post Mar 17 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #2
QUOTE (haze295 @ Mar 17 2011, 08:53 PM) *
I truly hope someone can help me here as this is the only issue with my Laptop and everything else I have working 100% (except sleep).

Model: M11x Alienware
1.6ghz Duo Core
Intel GS45 ICH9 (probably 9M) Chipset
10.6.6 Installed
-Kexts Used: only required
DSDT - extracted using DSDTSE, ran through 1.2 IASLME, not modified past that yet.

Problem:

I can only get 1 USB port on my system for use. The USB is located on the left side by itself while 2 other ports are on the right side of the machine. USB emulation must be turned on for it to be recognized, and this is the only way I can get USB connectivity (however in 1.0 mode only)

Background:

I know these will work in usb 2.0. I used IBOOT strictly to load my Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Disc and installed vanilla system. Rebooted and while using IBOOT to load the disc (I understand that Iboot hides wink.gif loading kexts in the background) and when I turned off USB Emulation I can verify that the USB was functioning properly. All ports in USB 2.0 were tested working. Thinking that everything was fine, I installed 10.6.6, required kexts, and dsdt... and during that transition I lost USB 2.0 and working ports

Work Done so far:

1. New Bootloader - upgraded to newer chameleon and tried usblegacy=off (killed all ports), and I tried usbfix=y (no luck either)

2. DSDT - I know this system has ICH9 or 9mobile (don't know if that exists)
http://www.intel.com/Products/Notebook/Chi...aldocuments.htm
Looking @ DSDT fixes in DSDTSE I found that all usb fixes called up UHCI at Address 0x0001ad (not the 107 address fix), however my DSDT calls upon USB0
at that function and when trying to edit the DSDT it blows out errors.

My thinking: I know that I can't be the only one with this issue and I believe that at this point it must be the following:

1. I believe that an older IOUSB might fix this issue or possibly there is a DSDT fix. However I wanted to start here first as I know 2.0 and all ports was achieved with no DSDT modifying.

I could really use some advice and help on this as it's driving me nutz. The only reason I have not tried to go back and recreate the setup is that I used my friends External DVD drive to boot IBOOT and he's gone. So I'd be picking up a 40.00 drive just to test this out when I don't' really need it past that.

I am humbly asking for any advice and help as I really don't know where to turn at this point and need to create a chain of options I can try and mark off. Right now I have.

1. Older IOUSB family from 10.6.0 as this was the only other version that has been on this system (went from 10.6.0 to 10.6.6 using combo update)
2. Modified IOUSB kept that someone has maybe created for this problem already
3. DSDT Modification which I am lacking the skill in.

I thank you very much and please any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tony

Success
UNREAL! After testing IOUSB from 10.6.0 to 10.6.6, multiple issues and problems.... I uncovered that when the system is OC'd using the BIOS setting bringing the cpu to 1.6 the power draw in OSX pulls from the USB ports. In windows this doesn't happen due to system drivers throttling the cpu. However in OSX the system is just running the cpu @ 100% with no throttle and full power draw.
ThehAWKs
post Apr 4 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #3
i had sleep working in 10.6.6 but in 10.6.7 it does not work i'm using Chameleon 747

since on 10.6.7 firewire give me an error with invalid GUID ffffffffff. i found a legacy kext for alc665 no more voodoohda sometimes it would panic on startup. i would like to get the keyboard mapped correctly and have GPU throttling with AGPM.kext

here is my extra you can take a look at it all of my USB ports work.
changes to DSDT are RTC,TMR,PIC,LPC,HPET,SBUS,USB,SATA,DTGP,AC,WAK,LID and more.

Attached File  Archive.zip ( 4.42MB ) Number of downloads: 26

This post has been edited by ThehAWKs: Apr 4 2011, 04:25 PM
OS : Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.7 (10j869) Retail [Vanilla Kernel/Chameleon-RC5.r.752/10.6 Retail/Windows 7sp1 64-bit]
CPU : Intel® Core i7 950 Nehalem 3.06GHz [OC'4.2GHz] [Liquid Cooling] | MoBo : EVGA 141-BL-E760-A1 | Dual-Display : Viewsonic VX2260WM
Video Card : 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB [SLI] [QE/CI] | RAM : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB [6 x 2GB] DDR3 1600Mhz CL8
Hard Drive : SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 [4x 1TB] | SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 [2x 500GB] | HighPoint-RocketRAID 2300 | DVD Drive : Dual Pioneer DVR-216DBK
WiFi : LINKSYS WMP300N [Wireless-N] | Case/PSU : Silverstone TJ07/CORSAIR 1000HX 1000W | Netbook : Lenovo S10E | Asus 1215N | Alienware M11X

Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: