ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start a new topic Add Reply
> Licencing and code Issues, split from elsewhere.
DHP
post Apr 19 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #1
I guess that someone realized, rightfully, that you cannot use Apple Open Source licensed material and keep it under wraps. This was something I was trying to bring under peoples attention earlier but nobody got it. Call it defeat or whatever you like it to call but at least now there is (some) source code.

Now XPC bend over forward or be prepared to play with the big boys... and that ain't no Toys R Us.

This post has been edited by DHP: Apr 19 2011, 09:10 AM
iPhoneTom
post Apr 20 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #2
QUOTE (DHP @ Apr 19 2011, 10:09 AM) *
Now XPC bend over forward or be prepared to play with the big boys... and that ain't no Toys R Us.

pfffff
iPhoneTom
post Apr 20 2011, 02:00 PM
Post #3
QUOTE (Slice @ Apr 19 2011, 12:10 PM) *
Thanks to Ninja!

OS_Ninja did nothing, then steal my code.

LMAO. All sources stolen from me and others.

Yeah, now all you losers can start to pull your crap out.

LOL Losers and wimps...

Hagar
post Apr 20 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #4
QUOTE (iPhoneTom @ Apr 20 2011, 02:00 PM) *

Yeah, now all you losers can start to pull your crap out.

LOL Losers and wimps...

Well, at least whatever it is or isn't, it's now out in the open and part of the continuum of available materials. Whilst it is clear that a significant amount consists of other peoples' code, there is no going back at this point, and ranting around calling people wimps & losers isn't useful or necessary. Until such time as XPC is also opened, none of us will know just how much of Iboot is in fact XPC.

It is understandable that those whose work has been misappropriated and released in this manner are annoyed, and there may be grounds for a community reaction to this at some point, but for now, try to behave like adults and work constructively towards getting the UEFI-on-bios-os-x-loader concept to maturity.
This Time We're Doing it RIGHT

гык-sse2
post Apr 20 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #5
QUOTE (Hagar @ Apr 20 2011, 06:24 PM) *
none of us will know just how much of Iboot is in fact XPC.

There are comments in iBoot code: "Based on XPC Project".
UEFI is a great way to get the best of the best in the world of imagination and creativity. ©Google Scribe
гык-sse2
post Apr 20 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #6
QUOTE (iPhoneTom @ Apr 20 2011, 06:00 PM) *

Then thanks to a thief.

rammjet, change FDF and DSC files to use non-Clover GenericBdsLib, PlatformBdsLib, AcpiTable and exclude AcpiPlatform. This will undo Slice's ACPI patch.
UEFI is a great way to get the best of the best in the world of imagination and creativity. ©Google Scribe
Slice
post Apr 20 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #7
QUOTE (iPhoneTom @ Apr 20 2011, 06:00 PM) *

Intel EDK2 - open source,
Oracle VirtualBox - open source,
Chamelon open source also used,
Apple's opensource of picopng, cpuid and many other technologies.
How much your codes here?

I can don't use iBoot. I may use rEFIt - open source GUI.
With iBoot I just faster understand EFI technologies as nobody wants to help me.
iBoot sources contains many mistakes, not only compile time but also logical and technological. I can't use it as is.
i3-2120 GA-H61M-S1 UEFI, Radeon HD6670-UEFI, ALC887(VoodooHDA 2.8.6), OS⌘10.9.5, OS⌘ 10.7.5 Clover FakeSMC_plugins_3.3.1 Realtek LAN v3.1.2
iPhoneTom
post Apr 20 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #8
QUOTE (kocoman @ Apr 20 2011, 04:39 PM) *
Why doesn't OS_Ninja post in this thread..

Because he is like ppl from EFI-X. We saw all that before. OS_Ninja begged me every day for the sources, and there were not one other Efi-Bootloader than XPC.

As soon as he got what he want, he 'released' iBoot.

You see, all what will come is my work, and all that i have to say about that: The only reason whey he did this, is to get some 'famous' for 'his' bootloader. Money can nobody earn with this, so this bad acting is just because he is not able to do his own thing.

OS_Ninja and all ppl acting like him, are not more then some very poor subjects, like parasites.

Remember: all what will come is based on my work and on the work of the Chameleon team. You can scream as loud as you like. OS_Ninja is just an code thief, nothnig more, nothing less.

Have fun with my work. May be if you ask, i will give you the real thing.

Slice
post Apr 20 2011, 06:33 PM
Post #9
During a month I cryed that I can't boot. Any XPC version just reboot on Dell Inspiron 1525.
I created my own Efildr20. To do this I used opensource projects (Intel, VBox, Chameleon). But I am not a God. Such a work required many effort and many knowledge. Thanks to Kabyl for advices and гык-sse2 for testing, but I got no real help to create new bootloader.
And now, when the work is almost finished you bother to propose something?
I am not sure my final sources will contain one byte of XPC project.
i3-2120 GA-H61M-S1 UEFI, Radeon HD6670-UEFI, ALC887(VoodooHDA 2.8.6), OS⌘10.9.5, OS⌘ 10.7.5 Clover FakeSMC_plugins_3.3.1 Realtek LAN v3.1.2
Ujen
post Apr 20 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #10
"The real thing", wth are you talking about? please.. like I said before, I'm not going to be under someone who looks down on all. Your not the "king" of efi. Take a break will ya. e pashol te v jopy!
гык-sse2
post Apr 20 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #11
iPhoneTom, and what do you think about modbin with his EBL?
DHP
post Apr 21 2011, 09:04 AM
Post #12
QUOTE (iPhoneTom @ Apr 20 2011, 06:25 PM) *
Because he is like ppl from EFI-X. We saw all that before. OS_Ninja begged me every day for the sources, and there were not one other Efi-Bootloader than XPC.

You see, all what will come is my work, and all that i have to say about that: The only reason whey he did this, is to get some 'famous' for 'his' bootloader. Money can nobody earn with this, so this bad acting is just because he is not able to do his own thing.

OS_Ninja and all ppl acting like him, are not more then some very poor subjects, like parasites.

Remember: all what will come is based on my work and on the work of the Chameleon team. You can scream as loud as you like. OS_Ninja is just an code thief, nothnig more, nothing less.

Too bad you feel like this. But one simple question I would like to ask you is, to start with, and this is a very simple one I guess; Why didn't you Open Source the whole thing? What was for you the primary reason to block others from using your work? Were you planning to open source it eventually? If that's a yes then why does it take so long?

Also. In the source code there's this line:

CopyRight©2008-2011, iBOOTDEVTEAM.

But here you make it look like you did everything yourself, and thus this line is either wrong, added by OS_Ninja perhaps, who may have changed the copyright headers, or there was a team and you didn't do everything your self. So which one is it?

Oh. And I know that it was you. The first person to work on this, but to me it was Intel and their source code who made it all possible. Yet I do not was to discredit you. Not that I am using anything from either iBoot, XPC or clover myself, but still.

Anyway. You used the Intel source code, and that of some others, and want credit for your work. I think that you deserve credit for it, because no matter how slice or anyone else changes the source code... they are either using it, testing it and/or learning from it. But the fact that you intentionally blocked others from participating in the project, presumably because of a bad experience in the past with some people, that I tell you still suck IMHO.

And to slice. Please stop telling people that you don't get any help. I may not have a developer batch, which I think to deserve, but then I won't be reading this stuff here and concentrate on my own work. Yes. I just hate to be discredited before I even started. I mean everything I said so far must have been "nothing" already so why waste my time with you? Seriously man. Get a grip!
OS_Ninja
post Apr 21 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #13
QUOTE (iPhoneTom @ Apr 20 2011, 01:25 PM) *

Jesus Christ dude. Yet another false claim from you. I don't expect anything less. And I WILL NOT entertain another post like this, period.
I'm here to set the record straight!
THe KiNG
post Apr 22 2011, 08:23 AM
Post #14
QUOTE (OS_Ninja @ Apr 22 2011, 06:36 AM) *
iBOOT doesnt read FAT binary headers...

I have this module in my edk2 source. Maybe I'll open my edk2 source soon.

And that would be another source that you used w/o permission or even ask for, like you did with AmlGenerator:
/**
AmlGenerator.c
implementation for generating aml files
Original Concept from the OsxBoot Project.
Coded by OS_Ninja Using AcpiPatcher template.
CopyRight©2008-2011, iBOOTDEVTEAM.

Since when is that your work?
..and 2008..common are you serious?

To stop the ranting here, I will clear up the history of iBoot so people have a clear picture on what really is:

- You joined XPC project and after several attempts you got the source from IphoneTom
- You joined EBL project and once you got access to the source you released iBoot, and you where ejected from team.

iBoot is a mix of what you could get and used w/o any permission or accept from the source owners.

If you chose to release what you did, at least have the decency to credit the source owners and not rebrand others work.
kocoman
post Apr 22 2011, 08:44 AM
Post #15
What is EBL project?

So XPC uses BSD licensed code too? so the source code should be released also too like iBoot 1.7?
NOTE:

If you can't reply, do the QUIZ on the MAIN page!!!!
Then you can reply!!

I signed up here 2 years ago, never know why I could not post, until a few days ago.
Slice
post Apr 22 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #16
As I know some sources of the project written under GPL license and so must be open for others. Am I right?
The GNU General Public License does not permit incorporating your program into proprietary programs.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
CODE
/*
* Copyright (C) 2010 Oracle Corporation
* This file is part of VirtualBox Open Source Edition (OSE), as
* available from http://www.virtualbox.org. This file is free software;
* you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU
* General Public License (GPL) as published by the Free Software
* Foundation, in version 2 as it comes in the "COPYING" file of the
* VirtualBox OSE distribution. VirtualBox OSE is distributed in the
* hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY of any kind.
*/

It is why Apple publish open sources.
kocoman
post Apr 22 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #17
Apple uses BSD license, which lets them not release all the code.

There are GNU v1 and v2, which are different too. Some people don't like the newer GNU license.

but Apple releases "different" source code (a fake one), when compared to the released binary.. ie: people noticed Textedit is different from the one they have installed vs the complied one.
(so even apple does not follow the license, "All their decisions are just ink on paper for us."

These open source licenses are just a method for people to steal code and use them in their own apps.. then charge people for money/donation.

NOTE:

If you can't reply, do the QUIZ on the MAIN page!!!!
Then you can reply!!

I signed up here 2 years ago, never know why I could not post, until a few days ago.
Kabyl
post Apr 22 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #18
QUOTE (OS_Ninja @ Apr 22 2011, 04:36 AM) *
How are you booting iBOOT with a vanilla EDK2 Efildr20?

iBOOT doesnt read FAT binary headers...

I have this module in my edk2 source. Maybe I'll open my edk2 source soon.

You didn't make a good impression here; with both, the question and the hesitation.

bcc9
post Apr 22 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #19
I think a separate thread would be in order to resolve the licensing issues (such as what proprietary claims if any are iphonetom making). Way more people are likely to have opinions on licensing; any development & testing concerns will likely get lost in the noise otherwise.

OS_Ninja
post Apr 23 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #20
QUOTE (Kabyl @ Apr 22 2011, 02:12 PM) *
You didn't make a good impression here; with both, the question and the hesitation.

I don't conscider myself a "Role Model" so....
I'm here to set the record straight!

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: