ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

Start a new topic Add Reply
> Lion On A Toshiba Nb255
tjsail33
post Aug 10 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #1
Hey guys,

So as the title says, I am looking to install Lion on my netbook. I have already made the USB, but my installation attempt stalls when i boot the laptop and OS X doesnt load past the white screen with the Apple in the middle. Any ideas? I'm trying to get this working ASAP, so please let me know if you can help.

Tim
majosa
post Aug 11 2011, 09:23 AM
Post #2
You need a patched kernel with the Atom CPUID. Use the next bootloader: http://osx86.co/f36/new-bootloader-for-lio...-made-by-t7178/
Read carefully the thread.
tjsail33
post Aug 11 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #3
QUOTE (majosa @ Aug 11 2011, 05:23 AM) *
You need a patched kernel with the Atom CPUID. Use the next bootloader: http://osx86.co/f36/new-bootloader-for-lio...-made-by-t7178/
Read carefully the thread.

Hi, thanks for your response. So I read the entire thread, and understood none of it to be quite honest. I downloaded the modified files, and then placed them into the appropriate (I think) folders on my Lion USB. Everything in the modules folder was placed into /Extra/modules, and all of the other files were just placed into the root of the USB. However, I cant even get the USB to show the Apple anymore. My netbook tries to boot from the USB and instead moves on the boot from the HDD. Any ideas?
majosa
post Aug 12 2011, 08:18 AM
Post #4
You only need copy /Extra/modules and /boot to usb. When you boot your usb, you should see a boot list when you can select boot your pendrive, this behavior can't occur if you have a prepared /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist so you should delete that file.

PD: It's more interesting init with -v flag, apple logo doesn't say nothing
tjsail33
post Aug 16 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #5
Okay, so I have gotten the chameleon bootloader to work, but when I try to boot it fails shortly after starting... I tried to see the error in verbose mode, but the system restarts too fast for me to read the error line. any ideas now?
majosa
post Aug 16 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #6
QUOTE (tjsail33 @ Aug 16 2011, 02:07 AM) *
Okay, so I have gotten the chameleon bootloader to work, but when I try to boot it fails shortly after starting... I tried to see the error in verbose mode, but the system restarts too fast for me to read the error line. any ideas now?

Use flag arch=i386
tjsail33
post Aug 17 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #7
used "-v arch=i386" to no avail in the boot prompt. still the almost insta reboot.
Walteras
post Aug 17 2011, 09:42 AM
Post #8
QUOTE (tjsail33 @ Aug 10 2011, 11:59 PM) *
Hey guys,

So as the title says, I am looking to install Lion on my netbook. I have already made the USB, but my installation attempt stalls when i boot the laptop and OS X doesnt load past the white screen with the Apple in the middle. Any ideas? I'm trying to get this working ASAP, so please let me know if you can help.

Tim

I am also facing this problem.Despite trying different techniques i haven't been able to resolve this issue.Please do share the answer of this query if you find one.
majosa
post Aug 17 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #9
QUOTE (tjsail33 @ Aug 17 2011, 02:17 AM) *
used "-v arch=i386" to no avail in the boot prompt. still the almost insta reboot.

Could you select drive to boot in Chameleon?

Did you press enter key because the boot process stops at certain moment?

If you use flag Wait=Yes, you will see all log before boot to drive.

This post has been edited by majosa: Aug 17 2011, 12:52 PM
tjsail33
post Aug 17 2011, 01:45 PM
Post #10
I have the HDD turned off in the bios, because chameleon will not load otherwise, even if my USB stick is at the top of the boot sequence. And the only time i press enter in the whole boot sequence is after i enter the flags ("-v arch=i386 Wait=Yes") but it still instantly reboots. The last thing I can see it printing before the reboot starts with HFS+ and says something about mach_kernel. But i cant see the specifics.
majosa
post Aug 18 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #11
QUOTE (tjsail33 @ Aug 17 2011, 03:45 PM) *
I have the HDD turned off in the bios, because chameleon will not load otherwise, even if my USB stick is at the top of the boot sequence. And the only time i press enter in the whole boot sequence is after i enter the flags ("-v arch=i386 Wait=Yes") but it still instantly reboots. The last thing I can see it printing before the reboot starts with HFS+ and says something about mach_kernel. But i cant see the specifics.

I believe that you haven't the bootloader installed correctly. With Wait=Yes you must press enter key before init mach_kernel. Try copy all to USB again and remember copy boot file to USB from the indicated bootloader
yingxuy
post Dec 14 2011, 03:02 AM
Post #12
While trying different techniques, I have not been able to solve this issue.Please agree the answer to this query, if you find one.
Morrisonsfweb
post Dec 27 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #13
Toshiba Mini NB255-N245 10.1-Inch Netbook, integrating the power of Intel Atom N450 processor and NM10 Express chipset with a six-cell battery for up to 8.3 hours of battery power, you'll be able to enjoy your school-day, work-day or errands without worrying about a recharge. Toshiba Mini NB255-N245 10.1-Inch Netbook also boosts performance somewhat and retains the wide responsive trackpad, and the systems battery life and hard drives are definitely below average.

Toshiba Mini NB255-N245 10.1-Inch Netbook comes pre-installed with the Microsoft Windows 7 Starter operating system, which combines the latest in reliability and responsiveness with the familiarity and compatibility of Windows.
ttcole1254
post May 31 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #14
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a Toshiba NB255 netbook. It has trouble booting from external media (it won't do it at all) if QuickBoot and other BIOS speed improvements are turned on (which they are by default). If you turn all the speed improvements off, if will only boot from standard flash drives. I can't get it to ever boot from a SanDisk for example.

I have to do this every time I install Ubuntu. Then I just re-enable the speed improvements when I'm finished with the flash drive. Kind of an odd quirk if you ask me.

EDIT: I went into the BIOS, and on the Main tab is a Boot Features section. In there, you want to make sure "QuickBoot" and "Fast Boot" are both disabled. Hope this helps!

This post has been edited by ttcole1254: May 31 2012, 12:36 PM
dharmender
post Apr 5 2013, 08:41 AM
Post #15
just check out the installation of the operating system for the computer system........
adanvmackey
post Feb 7 2014, 04:16 PM
Post #16
Message me if you still need help.
"Courage is knowing what not to fear." steve barbarich

Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: