ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

Start a new topic Add Reply
> Edit OSInstall.mpkg for Retail MBR Install and package customisation, Improved method
modbin
post May 18 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #1
I took Hagar`s idea of pointing the retail dvd to a patched OSInstall.mpkg. This way you can install on MBR and inject some Extra pkgs. One way to do it is booting the retail, open a terminal window and type the following:
CODE
/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer /Volumes/MYUSBDRIVE/OSInstall.mpkg

You need to change some paths inside Distribution to point to the retail DVD.
change all the paths like this
CODE
    <pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.X11User" auth='root'>file:./X11User.pkg</pkg-ref>

to

CODE
    <pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.X11User" auth='root'>file:/Volumes/Mac%20OS%20X%20Install%20DVD/System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg</pkg-ref>

You can also add some Extra.pkg but it should be located next to your OSInstall.mpkg on the USB Drive.
CODE
    <pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.Extra" auth='root'>file:./Extra.pkg</pkg-ref>

OSInstall.mpkg with Extra:
http://is.gd/BGAf
Hagar
post May 18 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #2
QUOTE (modbin @ May 18 2009, 02:00 PM) *
I took Hagar`s idea of pointing the retail dvd to a patched OSInstall.mpkg. This way you can install on MBR and inject some Extra pkgs.

OUTSTANDING!

This what I originally wanted to do but took the shortcut instead. Flat Package Editor & Texedit can also be run from the install DVD like this so the whole process can be done in one tongue.gif

old guide is here

Do you think this could be used to install off restore discs too?

Edit 1. nov 2009:

I quickly did this for my own use with the 10.5.4 retail DVD. This is the patched & tested OSInstall.mpkg with MBR check removed & .pkg paths hardcoded as per above.

Attached File  OSInstall.mpkg.zip ( 804.09K ) Number of downloads: 269
This Time We're Doing it RIGHT

realityiswhere
post May 18 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #3
Excellent work, I'm excited to see what can come of this!
Debian Squeeze: HPM8120N - Q6600, 965 northbridge/ICH8-R south, 9500GT (1GB)
Snow Leopard 10.6.6: Alu Macbook: Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB Ram, nVidia 9400M.
Android: Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (GT-i9000m, Froyo) and Samsung Galaxy Tab (Froyo)
Having trouble posting? Have you taken the Quiz yet? --------------------------- If you see spam, report it!
aprodigy
post May 18 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #4
yay, something to play around with.
thanks modbin!

Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: