ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

Start a new topic Add Reply
> AHCI Orange Icon Fix, Proper way to fix orange icon "bug"
THe KiNG
post Aug 10 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #1
Hi,

Since I got some free time I will start to add some tips and tricks that I use to customize OS X.

Well anyone can ask why new fix?
The answer is simple, previous one is not good IMHO b/c remove the HotPlug feature from AHCI.
So lets take a look on new "dummy.kext" plist:
CODE
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.XyZ.AHCI.Orange.Icon.Fix</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>AHCI Orange Icon Fix</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>6.6.6</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
<key>AppleAHCIDiskDriver</key>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>AppleAHCIDiskDriver</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOAHCIDevice</string>
<key>IOMediaIcon</key>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily</string>
<key>IOBundleResourceFile</key>
<string>Internal.icns</string>
</dict>

</dict>
<key>IOAHCISerialATAPI</key>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCISerialATAPI</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>IOAHCISerialATAPI</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOAHCIDevice</string>
<key>IOMediaIcon</key>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.iokit.IOCDStorageFamily</string>
<key>IOBundleResourceFile</key>
<string>CD.icns</string>
</dic
t>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Local-Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Under IOKitPersonalities notice the two entry AppleAHCIDiskDriver and IOAHCISerialATAPI and the IOMediaIcon under each one.

Enjoy! OrangeIconFix.kext
Gringo Vermelho
post Aug 10 2009, 11:56 PM
Post #2
The Rapidshare link is dead - grab OrangeIconFix here:
Attached File  OrangeIconFix.kext.zip ( 4.61K ) Number of downloads: 672

---

I replaced the icon fix that comes with Chameleon 2.0 with yours, and deleted the other ATA related kexts from /Extra/Extensions too. Running all vanilla 10.5.8 IO kexts.

OrangeIconFix.kext installed to EFI/Extra/Extensions and working!

My motherboard has the ICH10-R in AHCI mode with two HDDs (non-raid, one MBR/NTFS the other GPT/HFS+J) and a DVD drive.

--

Poking around in IORegistryExplorer, both my hard drives are still listed as external and not removable/ejectable.
My DVD drive is listed as internal, and removable/ejectable.

I thought maybe unmounting a drive would change it's status there but it doesn't.

Funny thing is, Disk Utility says both drives are ejectable.

"AHCI Port hot-plug" is set to 'true' on all three active channels though, maybe that's the only thing that matters.

I don't know anything about Apple Hardware, do you know if there are additional sensors inside the hard drive bays in a MacPro case? If there is, maybe the correct drive status depends on those sensors.

Thanks for this and for your work on ADI AD2000B (complains a lot in the logs since 10.5.7 but still works!)

This post has been edited by Gringo Vermelho: Mar 22 2010, 06:52 AM
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - EVGA GTX 660 - i5-3570K - 10.9.1 retail - Chameleon 2.2 svn r22xx
THe KiNG
post Aug 11 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #3
QUOTE (Gringo Vermelho @ Aug 11 2009, 12:56 AM) *
Poking around in IORegistryExplorer, both my hard drives are still listed as external and not removable/ejectable.
My DVD drive is listed as internal, and removable/ejectable.

"AHCI Port hot-plug" is set to 'true' on all three active channels though, maybe that's the only thing that matters.
I don't know anything about Apple Hardware, do you know if there are additional sensors inside the hard drive bays in a MacPro case? If there is, maybe the correct drive status depends on those sensors.
Thanks for this and for your work on ADI AD2000B (complains a lot in the logs since 10.5.7 but still works!)

As I said the fix I made is only cosmetic, it dosen't change any other settings and preserve what BIOS set for your AHCI.
If u need more info you can join #AHCIx86, we are trying to find some more there...
plastikman
post Aug 13 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #4
Hello THe KiNG,

I recently found this OrangeIconFix.kext (looks simpler than replacing icons after updates) but when I attempt to load it I get the following message:

CODE
Macintosh:Extensions root# kextload -t OrangeIconFix.kext
kextload: extension OrangeIconFix.kext appears to be loadable
kextload: no memory?
Macintosh:Extensions root#

I am assuming that this is not normal. I am running 10.5.8 with doobz voodoo 9.7.0 on a Phenom II x3 with AppleATIATA SATA kext loaded.

I have tried to loading this kext from /S/L/E and from EFI/E/E both yield the same results.

This post has been edited by plastikman: Aug 14 2009, 12:13 AM
Gringo Vermelho
post Aug 15 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #5

I didn't try it in S/L/E.

In EFI/Extra/Extensions it would only load when booting with -f.
I built an extensions.mkext with it inside and then it worked.

It can't be a permissions issue that you are having because Chameleon doesn't care about permissions on the extensions in /Extra/Extensions.
Maybe your problem is that you don't have ICHx..
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - EVGA GTX 660 - i5-3570K - 10.9.1 retail - Chameleon 2.2 svn r22xx
THe KiNG
post Aug 16 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #6
QUOTE (plastikman @ Aug 14 2009, 12:25 AM) *
Hello THe KiNG,

I recently found this OrangeIconFix.kext (looks simpler than replacing icons after updates) but when I attempt to load it I get the following message:

CODE
Macintosh:Extensions root# kextload -t OrangeIconFix.kext
kextload: extension OrangeIconFix.kext appears to be loadable
kextload: no memory?
Macintosh:Extensions root#

I am assuming that this is not normal. I am running 10.5.8 with doobz voodoo 9.7.0 on a Phenom II x3 with AppleATIATA SATA kext loaded.

I have tried to loading this kext from /S/L/E and from EFI/E/E both yield the same results.

Don't try to kextload it b/c is a dummy.kext(it has only a plist on it no binary)
It is fine to install it on /s/l/e
When is on /extra it must be on mkext.
plastikman
post Aug 17 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #7
QUOTE (THe KiNG @ Aug 16 2009, 03:42 PM) *
Don't try to kextload it b/c is a dummy.kext(it has only a plist on it no binary)
It is fine to install it on /s/l/e
When is on /extra it must be on mkext.

That was it! Thanks for the fix THe KiNG
blackosx
post Nov 29 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #8
Hi THe KiNG

I have chosen to use your OrangeIconFix.kext for my ICH10 system where I used to use chameleon's IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector. I see the differences in the info.plists between them, but can you tell me the what the differences actually do with regards to functionality?
EDIT: After reading my post again, I realise the answer to my question is already in this thread.

Also just a note. I got the OrangeIconFix.kext to load from /E/E without putting it in an mkext by adding the IOProbeScore key with an integer of 1000 to the info.plist. Is that sensible to do?

Thanks for all your hard work and Regards
blackosx

This post has been edited by blackosx: Dec 3 2009, 03:32 PM
10.9.5 | Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z (PMpatched BIOS 3603) | i7-2600 3.40GHz | SSDT from Sam's ssdtPRGen.sh | Radeon 5770 1GB | 4GB DDR3
Booting with either Clover 2883 | Chameleon r2396 | RevoBoot v1.5.40 | Ozmosis 1479M

Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: