ProjectOSX

Welcome Guest!

Returning User? Login here.

Want membership privileges? Register here.

Start a new topic Add Reply
> Thoughts on a [successful] Snow Install
realityiswhere
post Sep 8 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #1
This is in no way intended to be a full walkthrough, merely my experiences as they occurred with getting 10.6 to work on my desktop, an HP M8120N.

The motherboard is a P5BW-LA3 (proprietary HP motherboard), it uses a Q6600 with a 965 Northbridge, and an ICH8-R Southbridge [in AHCI mode], no onboard video. Originally there was a Nvidia 7350LE (128MB) card, then that was upgraded to an 8500GT (512), however this install of 10.6 was done with a 9500GT (1GB).

The original plan was to image the OS to a USB drive (8GB) and install chameleon to it, then install directly from that. It would boot up properly after using PC EFI v10 with the swapped boot file from netkas, unfortunately Chameleon 2 gave a general kernel panic during the boot.

After the PC EFI switch, the boot always worked (just -v switch), however at 19 minutes remaining on the install it would kernel panic, nothing significant in the backtrace, just a random panic, always just during the "com.apple.iChat" package extraction. In retrospect I believe this is because of an error during the restoration to the USB drive.

What I finally got to work was using cdboot by FlashGX.

Link to it is here: http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...F%3Fgdjwuk2ddtj

You can insert device-property strings into the com.apple.Boot.plist (necessary for Nvidia), add extra kexts into the preboot.dmg, it's not confirmed whether DSDT.aml works properly when added, but this wasn't an issue for my system.

Once you've finished with the preparation of the cdboot directory, execute the following to create the .iso

CODE
sudo hdiutil makehybrid -o cdboot.iso cdboot/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot cdboot/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "SL boot132" -joliet-volume-name "SL boot132"

Burn it, boot off of it, and wait for the graphical chameleon screen to appear. Swap the cdboot disc for the retail disc and press f5 for it to rescan, then press tab and enter any boot arguments if you need to, or just press enter boot off the disc if you're confident it will work without any arguments.

I deselected everything but X11 on the customize screen and that minimizes the install time to 20 minutes. The install said that it "failed" because it was unable to immediately boot into the installed OS, but the install was a success. Upon reboot, eject the disc and use the cdboot disc to boot off of the hard drive.

Mount the preboot.dmg on the cdboot cd, and install the kexts to your system. I installed
  • fakesmc.kext (decryption/smc emulation from netkas)
  • Intel82566MM.kext (ethernet)
  • VoodooHDA.kext (audio)
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext (restart/shutdown fix)
  • PlatformUUID.kext (fixes some time machine errors)
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext)
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (injects values into the IOAHCOBlockStorage.kext, located inside IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/)

to the /Extra/Extensions directory (drag and drop to /Extra/Extensions , then

CODE
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/*
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/*

create the .mkext:

CODE
sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions/

installed Chameleon (copied directly from cham readme)

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
CODE
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
CODE
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
CODE
sudo cp boot /

then rebooted, and my system worked. Also installed/configured my own DSDT.aml post-install, but this wasn't necessary for my system to boot to begin with, which always helps.

If nothing, I hope this provides some general insight, maybe helps an error that someone was having, if not then it's good for me to get my own thoughts out to look back on if I need to reinstall wink.gif
Debian Squeeze: HPM8120N - Q6600, 965 northbridge/ICH8-R south, 9500GT (1GB)
Snow Leopard 10.6.6: Alu Macbook: Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB Ram, nVidia 9400M.
Android: Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (GT-i9000m, Froyo) and Samsung Galaxy Tab (Froyo)
Having trouble posting? Have you taken the Quiz yet? --------------------------- If you see spam, report it!

Add Reply Start a new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: